- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 1 1/2 cup reduced fat (2%) milk
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free flour
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 pounds celery root, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 3/4 pound Yukon gold potatoes, unpeeled and thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cup gluten-free regular bread crumbs
- 1 cup grated Swiss cheese, such as Emmentaler or Jarlsberg
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter a 13-x9-inch casserole dish and set aside.
- Whisk together milk, half-and-half, garlic, flour, salt and pepper in a large pot over medium heat. Gently stir in celery root and potatoes and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer, stirring frequently and gently, until thickened slightly, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer contents of pot to prepared dish and spread out evenly. Scatter breadcrumbs and cheese over the top and bake until tender, bubbly and golden brown, 45 to 50 minutes.
- Set aside to let rest for 15 minutes. Garnish with parsley and serve.