- 2 Lbs russet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 Cup half and half cream
- 1/2 to 1/3 Cup butter, room temperature
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 Tbsp white truffle oil
- Course kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 Tsp chopped black truffle (optional)*
- Simmer potatoes in large pot of boiling salted water (enough cold water to cover by at least 2 inches) about 20 to 30 minutes or until tender when pierced with a fork; remove from heat and drain.
- Return potatoes to pot and stir over medium heat until excess moisture evaporates, about 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Heat the half-and-half and the garlic in a medium saucepan over medium heat until simmering. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Mash potatoes with a potato masher or ricer (do not use your electric mixer) until there are no lumps.
- Add garlic half and half; blend well (the amount of liquid needed may vary, so add slowly until potatoes are fluffy and still have body).
- Add butter and truffle oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in chopped truffles, if desired.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and serve.