4th of July Red, White & Blue Cupcakes
(makes 12 cupcakes)
For the Blue Vanilla Cupcakes:
- 1½ cups all-purpose gluten-free flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon table salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 stick), room temperature
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 large egg , room temperature
- 2 large egg yolks , room temperature
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons blue food coloring (liquid)
- 12 medium sized strawberries
For the White Frosting:
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 1 pound (3 2/3 cups) confectioners' sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk (optional)
- Adjust oven rack to middle position; heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line standard muffin/cupcake tin with paper or foil liners.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in bowl of standing mixer fitted with paddle attachment. Add butter, sour cream, egg and egg yolks, vanilla and food coloring; beat at medium speed until smooth and satiny, about 30 seconds. Scrape down sides of bowl with rubber spatula and mix by hand until smooth and no flour pockets remain.
- Divide batter evenly among cups of prepared tin. Bake until cupcake tops are pale gold and toothpick or skewer inserted into center comes out clean, 20 to 24 minutes. Remove the cupcakes from tin and transfer to wire rack; cool cupcakes to room temperature before frosting.
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter until smooth.
- Gradually add confectioners' sugar; beat until smooth. If too thick to spread, beat in 1 to 2 tablespoons milk.
- Wash and cut of the tops of strawberries. Frost cupcake and top with strawberry.