- 4 green plantains (1 1/2 lb)
- 6 cups vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated fresh lime zest, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- Stir together zest, sea salt, cayenne and set aside.
- cut ends from plantains and score skin of each plantain 5 times lengthwise, avoiding ridges. Soak in hot tap water 5 minutes and peel.
- Heat oil in a 5-quart heavy pot over moderate heat until a deep-fat thermometer registers 375°F.
- While oil is heating, cut plantains lengthwise with a U-shaped peeler or manual slicer into very thin strips (about 1/16 inch thick).
- Fry strips, about 6 at a time, turning frequently, until golden, 30 to 45 seconds.
- Transfer with tongs to paper towels and sprinkle crisps immediately with salt mixture.
You can make the plantain chips 2 days ahead and store them in an airtight container at room temperature.